Representative Bradley Byrne

Representing the 1st District of Alabama

Help with a Federal Agency


NOTICE: As a departing Member of Congress, my office is no longer permitted to open new cases related to Social Security, Medicare, the VA, the IRS, or unemployment that will not be resolved by the end of my term. I encourage you to contact Senator Richard Shelby’s office at (251) 694-4164 to request his assistance on your behalf.

Click Here to Download the Privacy Release Form

Having trouble with a federal agency or department like the VA, Social Security, or Medicare? My office is here to help.

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

My office can help if:

  • You are a resident of Alabama's First Congressional District. Unfortunately, I cannot assist those who live outside my Congressional district.
  • Your problem is with a federal agency or program. My office cannot assist with state and local programs or agencies.

What my office can do:

  • Act as a liaison between you and federal agency
  • Request information on a status report
  • Assist you with applications for federal programs like Social Security or Medicare
  • Help you acquire basic information about federal programs

What my office cannot do:

  • Provide legal advice or get involved with a legal matter
  • Overturn or influence an independent judge's decision
  • Force a federal agency to expedite your case or issue

If you would like my office to assist you with a federal agency, please complete the privacy release form by clicking the link above.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.

We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request

Click Here to Download the Privacy Release Form.